Friday, November 23, 2012

Soft & Chewy Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies

Christmas is just around the corner and I am getting into the mood early!  What better way to start the Christmas feel than by baking a fresh batch of Ginger molasses cookies.  This was the first time ever making such a flavour cookie.  Firstly, I'm not a fan of cinnamon, and secondly, I find ginger too spicy.  However, as time goes by, and I get older, my pallet has grown to acquired this spice combination and I now think it's pretty tasty.  I surprised myself on how tasty these turned out.  Soft and chewy inside and crispy outside!  

This recipe pretty much was adapted from the snickerdoodle recipe, but substituted a few minor ingredients to now a more classic ginger cookies ingredients.  This was when I used my culinary brain and the outcome was fantasticProud of myself!

Ingredients:
Cookies dough:

  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of molasses
  • 3 tbsp soy milk (or non- dairy milk of your choice)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Sugar Topping
  • 2 tbsp sugar

Directions:


1. 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In plate or a bowl, place 2 tbsp of sugar on the plate and set aside.
 2.
In a bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, molasses, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract.
3. 
In the same bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and mix until the dough is combined.
4.
Roll the cookie dough into a ball about the size  of a golf ball and flatten it to a small hockey puck shape.  Dip one side of the cookie dough into the sugar topping mix and place the cookie "sugar side up" on the cookie sheet
5.
Bake for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment